1.2kg desiree potatoes skin on (end up being 1kg of riced potato)
Pinch Ground Nutmeg
300g Plain Flour
1. Boil potatoes with skins on from cold water until tender for 15-20 minutes (check with a thin knife).
2. Put another larger pot of salted water to boil in preparation for cooking gnocchi.
3. Drain potatoes (once cooked) and peel while hot. Pass potatoes through food mill or ricer onto a work surface, then sprinkle with salt and nutmeg.
4. Sprinkle with flour and gently kneed until all the flour is incorporated. Work quickly and efficiently so that the potato mix stays warm.
5. Check water for cooking gnocchi is boiling.
6. Roll dough into a long rope on a lightly floured surface and cut into 1cm pieces and place on a tray with baking paper.
7. Adjust boiling water to a simmer and drop half of the prepared gnocchi in and gently simmer for 3 minutes (the gnocchi will slightly swell and rise to the top).
8. Lift out with a slotted spoon and plunge into iced water, preferably with a colander so not to mix the gnocchi and ice together.
9. Chill for a few minutes and drain.
10. Lightly toss with some oil and store until required. Repeat process with remaining batch.
EAMON’S TIP: Knead the dough as little as possible to bring together and to keep the gnocchi nice and light.